A lot of people are getting into physical fitness. Either as a sport or as recreation to maintain a healthy body, leaner physique and to avoid various ailments brought about by our sedentary lifestyle. Due to our advanced, digital and technological advancement, we are often tied to our desk, sitting most of the time, eating fast food and mostly junk food and chips, gulping calorific coffee, iced teas and soda.
All these contribute to a host of diseases like hypertension, diabetes, heart ailments and cancers of every kind which were unheard of many years ago that we now attribute to our inactive lifestyle.
This maybe the reason why many have decided to take matters into their own hands and devote more time to indulge in physical activities. Others have gone a step further and do it as a sport.
As we all know, we need to have the right equipment to do the sport we chose for ourselves. We need a good running shoes should we take up running as our physical exercise of choice.
We need some weight, kettle ball, parallel bars, dumb bells and others if we want to build our muscles. In the same manner that we will need a weight lifting belt to help us to protect our core should we decide that lifting weight is the sport we want to do either for personal body improvement or as a professional.
To help you choose the right weight lifting belt, we have listed 5 of the best belts available in the market.
Weight Lifting Belts Comparison Chart
To learn a little bit about our list of the best weight lifting belts, here is an overview of each one:
|Fire Team Fit Weightlifting Belt||Dark Iron Fitness Genuine Leather Pro Weight lifting Belt for Men and Women||Valeo 4-Inch Padded Leather Lifting Belt For Men And Women With Back Support||FlexzFitness Lever Buckle Powerlifting Belt||ProFitness Genuine Leather Workout Belt|
|Material||Mesh, fabric, and foam pad||Genuine 5mm leather||Cowhide leather||Suede leather||Genuine leather|
|Security||Velcro||Heavy-duty metal buckle||Double-prong roller buckle||Stainless steel lever||Heavy duty metal buckle|
|Sizes||X-small, small, medium, and large||X-small, small, medium, large, and x-large||Small, medium, large, and x-large||Small, medium, large, x-large, and xx-large||Small, medium, and large|
|Color(s)||Black, blue, camo, metallic gray, and pink||Red and black design||Black||Black, blue, pink, red, and violet||Black and orange, black and red, black and yellow, and black and white|
|Extra Features||Sweat resistant and contour design||Adjustable non-slip fit and full lumbar support||Double stitched edges, double loops to secure belt tab, and lumbar pad covered by suede lining||Heavy duty double stitching, stretch and tear resistant, and non-slip fit||Non slip fit, and stretch and tear resistant|
Best Weight Lifting Belt
Based on the comparison chart above, the weight lifting belts on the list has its similarities and differences. To get a detailed information on each of them, below are their individual reviews.
Fire Team Fit Weightlifting Belt
Operated by veterans, Fire Team Fit was inspired by the fitness aspect of the Marine Corps. They produce high quality fitness products that can help motivate people of all professions reach a new level of fitness.
Their company produces a variety of fitness products such as liquid weight lifting chalk, weight belts, wrist wraps, dip belts, and mobility foam roller kit. To know more about their weightlifting belt, here is a list of its features
- Made from mesh, fabric, and foam pad
- Secured with Velcro
- Available in 4 sizes: extra small, small, medium, and large
- Comes in 5 colors: black, blue, camo, metallic gray, and pink
- Sweat resistant
- Lightweight contour design
- A dollar of each weightlifting belt sale will go to the Raider Project which is a non-profit organization that helps Marine Combat Veterans and Marine Special Operators transition back to civilian life
This weightlifting belt definitely has great features we can benefit from. Below is its list of positive attributes:
- It is very lightweight unlike the common leather belt
- You get to help a non-profit organization which is the Raider Project
- The material it is made from is very breathable
- Has a great selection of colors
- Comfortable to use
- The Velcro does not come off easily
- Offers great support
- The belt stays in place even with a lot of movement
- Thin yet sturdy
- Excellent customer support
- They provide clear instructions on how to properly measure your belt size
As great as this belt is, it still has some features that some may consider are not that great. Below is a list of its cons:
- There is a new tire smell that comes from the belt and takes a while to disappear
- The belt has a tendency of stretching out over time
- May not be the best for daily use
- Some people may find the material too soft and flexible
Dark Iron Fitness Genuine Leather Pro Weight lifting Belt for Men and Women: Best Overall Weight Lifting Belt
This weight lifting brand is from a small business named Dark Iron Fitness. Their mission is to provide high quality weightlifting accessories. They do their best to provide their customers with the best support as possible.
They have a wide range of weightlifting products such as wrist wraps, dip belts, lifting straps, barbell clamps, and more. To know more about their weight lifting belt, we have listed its features below:
- Made from genuine 5mm leather
- Heavy duty metal buckle
- Weighs 1.5 lbs. and height measures 4 in.
- Comes in 5 sizes: extra small, small, medium, large, and extra large
- Has a red and black design
- Adjustable non-slip fit
- Offers full lumbar support
This leather weight lifting belt is definitely one of the best in the market. If you are not convinced, here is a list of all its positive attributes:
- Great quality and well-constructed
- The leather has the right amount of thickness
- Comfortable thanks to the suede interior
- Excellent customer support
- Well-secured belt
- You can easily move around and perform different exercises
- Built to last
- Offers great back support
- Works great for both beginner and professional weight lifters
As much as we love this weight lifting belt, it can still use some minor improvements. Below is a list of the Dark Iron Fitness Genuine Leather Pro Weight lifting Belt’s cons:
- Some people may find the belt too thin especially heavy lifters
- It tends to stretch a little when performing exercises
- Not the best for powerlifting
Valeo 4-Inch Padded Leather Lifting Belt For Men And Women With Back Support
Here is another leather weight lifting belt on our list. It has a lot of similarities with the Dark Iron Fitness belt. To know more about the Valeo 4-Inch Padded Leather Lifting Belt, here is a list of its features:
- Made from top quality cowhide leather
- Secured with a double-prong roller buckle
- Comes in 4 sizes: small, medium, large, and extra large
- Black belt with white double stitched edges
- Double loops to secure belt tab
- Lumbar pad covered by suede lining
Below is a list of features that we found great and makes this weight lifting gloves worth buying:
- Great belt for beginners
- Smooth edges and does not pinch or dig in to the skin
- Gives excellent back support
- Accurate sizing chart
- Made from great material and constructed well
- Durable and can last for a long time
Here are some qualities that are not that great about the Valeo 4-Inch Padded Leather Lifting Belt:
- Takes a while to break in
- The pad on the back is too small
- Not the best for powerlifting
FlexzFitness Lever Buckle Powerlifting Belt: Most Stylish Weight Lifting Belt
FlexzFitness is a brand that offers weight lifting accessories as well as clothing for men and women. They have a wide range of weight lifting belts, straps, wraps, and stylish clothing such as sports bras, tank tops, and hoodies.
Below is a list of features the FlexzFitness Lever Buckle Powerlifting Belt has:
- Made from suede leather
- Secured by a stainless steel lever
- Comes in 5 sizes: small, medium, large, x-large, and xx-large
- Available in 5 colors: black, blue, pink, red, and violet
- Heavy duty double stitching
- Stretch and tear resistant
- Has a non-slip fit
- Competition safe
- Width measures 4 in.
The FlexzFitness Lever Buckle Powerlifting Belt is definitely a bang for the buck. To know why, here is a list of its awesome qualities:
- Made from great quality material
- The buckle stays put even with a lot of movement
- Great selection of colors
- Works great for beginners
- Easy to put on and remove thanks to the lever buckle
- Durable belt and can last for a long time
- Great customer service
- Performs as well as expensive weight lifting belts from well-known brands
Since there is no such thing as a perfect product, the FlexzFitness Lever Buckle Powerlifting Belt has its own share of downsides too. Below is a list of its cons:
- It can take a while for the belt to break in and may cause bruising in the process
- The lever is heavy duty and requires a screw driver to adjust it
- The edges are not that smooth
- The belt has a tendency to fold whenever you close it
ProFitness Genuine Leather Workout Belt
Another leather weight lifting belt on the list is from ProFitness. It is suitable to use for different exercises such as squats, powerlifting, and deadlifting. To know more about this product, here is a list of its features:
- Made from genuine leather
- Secured with a heavy duty metal buckle
- Adjustable belt
- Comes in 3 sizes: small, medium, and large
- Available in 4 color combinations: black and orange, black and red, black and yellow, and black and white
- Has a non-slip fit
- Width measures 4 in.
- Belt is stretch and tear resistant
Each product has its own positive and negative sides. To start it off, here is a list of pros the ProFitness Genuine Leather Workout Belt has:
- Leather has the right amount of thickness
- The stitching is well done
- Extremely affordable
- Very comfortable whether over or under the clothing
- Provides great back support when lifting
- Well-constructed and sturdy
- Great customer service
As we all know, no product is perfect. Below is a list of the ProFitness Genuine Leather Workout Belt’s imperfections:
- The rivets tend to loosen and even pop out
- The color from the belt comes of and can stain you clothes
- Not the best option for heavy weight lifting as it is too thin
With the amount of different options available today, it can be a bit tricky to settle on one weight lifting belt. To make it a little easier, we have provided a simple guide on how to choose the right weight lifting belt.
Types of lifting belts
Weight lifting belts differ on the material used and type of security used. The most commonly used weight lifting belts are made of leather. They are the most popular because they last the longest out of all the types of belts.
However, belts made from genuine leather tend to be more expensive. So if you are serious in your weightlifting journey then be ready to invest on a good quality belt.
Another type of weight lifting belt are made from nylon. This type of belt tend to be more breathable and comfortable. However, they do not provide the best support since they are quite soft.
This is suitable for exercises that does not require extreme heavy weight lifting.
In terms of the security used, there are single-pronged buckle, double-pronged buckle, lever, and Velcro. The most popular one is a single-pronged buckle that is mostly found on leather weight lifting belts. They are easy to put on and take off and you get to adjust it simply.
Weight lifting belt sizes
The sizes of weight lifting belts is different for each brand. There is no standard size for all belts. Every brand comes up with their own sizing chart to serve as a guide for their customers.
It is important to note that just because the belt you have for one brand does not necessarily mean that it will be the same size for other brands. It is also essential that you do not base your measurement on the size of the pants you wear since a weight lifting belt usually goes around the belly and not the hips.
When you shop for a belt make sure to look for the brand’s sizing chart to get the most accurate size for your weight lifting belt.
Benefits of a weight lifting belt
Using weight lifting belts comes with a lot of great benefits. First is that it helps reduce stress on the spine. It help prevents users from getting back injuries when lifting. Second is that it makes us perform better.
It can increase your strength, power, and muscle growth because of the support it provides. Third benefit is that it can help you maintain the proper posture when lifting which is a necessity in order to work out effectively.
Women’s weight belt
Men and women have different measurements. It is known that men had a head start in the weight lifting sport. Luckily, a lot of brands nowadays have optimized their belts to be unisex while some provides weight lifting belts specifically for women.
However, there are no major differences between men’s and women’s weight lifting belt since most belts nowadays offer different sizes and are adjustable. Just like in any other weight lifting belt, the factors to consider is the comfort, material, type, and width.
Weight Lifting Belts FAQ
Here are some answers the frequently asked questions about weight lifting belts:
How to wear a weightlifting belt?
There are a few steps on how to put on a weight lifting belt properly. First is to position it on your waist. Once you have found the perfect position you can proceed to wrap and close it. Remember not to make the belt too loose or too tight.
Make sure you still get to have one full intake of breath into your stomach. This can take a while of getting used to. Do not be afraid to try multiple positions until you get the most comfortable fit.
What weightlifting belt should I use?
For people who lifts weight on a daily basis, it is best to invest on a high quality leather weight lifting belt. Leather weight lifting belts are more durable and tends to keep its shape.
They are also stiffer which gives a great support for powerlifters. For those that do deadlifts and squats, a belt made out of suede can be a great option.
This type of belt are softer than leather which makes it flexible and easier to move in. There are also Velcro-styled belts which is suitable for exercises that has a lot of movement since it is very lightweight.
Do weight lifting belts prevent injury?
It does because it helps stabilize our spine by increasing our intra-abdominal pressure which helps prevent back injuries. This works by the way the belt is wrapped in our abdomen, it limits it from expanding too much when we take deep breaths.
Why wear weight lifting belt?
Wearing a weight lifting belt is essential for people who requires extra support in lifting weights and reduces the stress on the spine which prevent users from getting back injuries. It also helps us perform better as it can increase our strength, power, and muscle growth.
However, weight lifting belts are not suitable for those who have high blood pressure and injury.
What does a weight belt do?
One of the main functions of a weight lifting belt is that it increases intra-abdominal pressure which helps stabilize the spine and core which leads to greater performance. It can help you perform big lifts easier when wearing a belt.
Wearing a weight lifting belt can improve our performance and prevent injuries from happening. It can be used as an extra support for the back and abdomen.
There are a lot of things to consider when picking the right weight lifting belt. It has to depend on your needs, the material it is made from, and its comfort. Be sure to familiarize yourself with the different types of weight lifting belt.
Being able to understand the function they have will help you decide which one is the perfect belt for you. To fully enjoy the benefits of a weight lifting belt, it is essential that you know how to put it on the right way. It should be positioned correctly and tightened just right.