Not all exercise machines and equipment are created equal. Some are expensive, others are not. Some are elaborate, others are simple. Some are useful, and others are fancy. Whatever you use, just make sure the exercise machine you choose is right for you, for the exercise routine you need to do, and should also ensure your safety to avoid untoward and unnecessary accident.
You would want to avoid injury at all cost. Imagine if you get into an accident, you won’t be able to go to work, do your usual routine and would definitely put a dent to your budget and cost you a lot for health care and hospitalization. Imagine if you break a bone, it will take some time to heal and the pain it would bring.
The reason we do our exercises is to keep ourselves fit and healthy and not do harm it. We should therefore take good care of ourselves when doing our routine using gym machines and equipment. Learn how to properly use them. Take for example our backs.
We need to make sure to lay on a soft but firm weight bench to protect our spine when doing presses and weights. Spine injury should be avoided at all cost. It can paralyze your whole body and we wouldn’t want that to ever happen to anybody especially to yourself. You see how important a good weight bench is in ensuring a safe equipment for our back. It can make or break an otherwise good exercise routine.
Weight Bench Comparison Chart
To give you a quick idea about our list of best weight benches, here is a comparison chart. You will be able to see their similarities and differences.
|Rep 1000 lb Rated Flat Weight Bench||Fitness Reality 1000 Super Max Weight Bench||Universal 5 Position Weight Bench||XMark Adjustable FID Weight Bench||Ironcompany.com Body Solid GFID225 Folding Adjustable Weight Bench|
|Type||Flat Weight Bench||Adjustable (12 positions)||Adjustable (5 positions)||Adjustable (10 positions)||Adjustable (7 positions)|
|Weight Limit||1000 lbs.||800 lbs.||430 lbs.||1500 lbs.||600 lbs.|
|Dimensions||47 x 12 x 17.5 in.||59 x 23.5 x 48.5 in.||51 x 17 x 2 in.||60 x 22.50 x 50.50 in.||58.5 x 19.5 x 10 in.|
|Weight||45 lbs.||35 lbs.||33.4 lbs.||77 lbs.||61.2 lbs.|
|Extras||Assembly tool||Transportation wheels and detachable leg hold down bar||Fixed leg brace and stabilizer levelers||Transportation wheels and leg hold down bar||Transportation wheels and front foot pegs|
Best Weight Bench
To know more about the details of each weight bench, here are our individual reviews.
Rep 1000 lb Rated Flat Weight Bench: Flat Weight Bench with the Best Performance
First on the list is from the company Rep Fitness. Rep Fitness has been making different fitness gear, supplies, and equipment for half a decade now. Their products are suitable for both home and commercial use. Here is a list of features the Rep 1000 lb Rated Flat Weight Bench has:
- Flat weight bench
- Maximum weight capacity is 1000 lbs.
- Base layer is made from 2.5 in. thick plywood
- Frame made from heavy-duty steel
- Dense foam padding
- Matte black powder coating
- Exterior made from professionally stitched textured vinyl
- Product’s dimensions: 47 x 12 x 17.5 in. and weighs 45 lbs.
- Comes with assembly tool
The Rep 1000 lb Rated Flat Weight Bench is definitely one of the best of its kind in the market. Here is a list of its great qualities:
- You will get more than what you pay for
- Easy to put together
- The pad is just right; not too soft and not too hard
- It is light enough to move around
- Safe to use
- Stable and does not wobble during workouts
- Great packaging
- High weight capacity
- Excellent customer service
This product is really impressive. However, they still have room for improvement. Here is its downside:
- The included wrenches are not that great so you may need to use your own
Fitness Reality 1000 Super Max Weight Bench: Most Versatile Weight Bench
Fitness Reality is a company that offers high quality products and have been a partner of IRONMAN®. Their fitness equipment consists of elliptical machines, stationary bikes, treadmills, inversion tables, and more. To know more about the Fitness Reality 1000 Super Max Weight Bench, below is a list of its features:
- Can be adjusted to 12 positions
- Has a maximum weight capacity of 800 lbs.
- Steel frame
- Powder coated
- Spacious 15.3 in. x 14.5 in. seat
- Its dimensions are 59 x 23.5 x 48.5 in. and weighs 35 lbs.
- Foldable for easy storage
- Built-in transportation wheels
- Comes with a detachable leg hold down bar and assembly tools
This weight bench is definitely top notch. It has a lot of great qualities that you would surely benefit from. Here is a list of its features:
- Suitable for daily use
- Stays in place and does not wobble during workout
- Outstanding customer service
- Very easy to put together
- Comes with clear instructions and assembly tools
- Light enough to carry and move around
- Adjusting position only takes seconds
- Great value for money
- Can be stored easily
As awesome as the Fitness Reality 1000 Super Max Weight Bench is, it still has a few downsides. Here is a list of its cons:
- The leg bar could use some padding
- The gap between the seat and the backrest can be uncomfortable
- The seat does not have enough cushioning
Universal 5 Position Weight Bench: Best Starter Bench
Next is another adjustable weight bench from the company Universal by Nautilus. Universal has a wide range of affordable and durable fitness equipment such as stationary bikes, kettlebells, and home gyms. Their products are designed for both professional and home use. As for the Universal 5 Position Weight Bench, here is a list of all of its features:
- Can be adjusted to 5 positions
- Has a max weight of 430 lbs.
- Frames made of steel
- Product’s assembled dimensions are 51 x 17 x 2 in. and weighs 33.4 lbs.
- Can be folded
- Fixed leg brace for support
- Stabilizer levelers to suit any type of flooring
- Comes with contoured five inch rollers
This unique looking weight bench has a lot of great qualities. Here are some of them:
- Very light and easy to move around
- It is stable and can be adjusted to any type of flooring
- Easy to assemble
- The cushion is very comfortable without it being too soft
- Very durable and will last for a number of years
- Adjusting the position is very easy and does not take a lot of effort to do
There are a few downsides that comes with this product. Here are some of them:
- The instructions it comes with lacks details
- The cushioned rollers or leg support has a tendency of coming off
- This bench might not suit those who are tall (around 5’ 10”)
XMark Adjustable FID Weight Bench: Heavy Duty Adjustable Weight Bench
XMark offers the finest fitness equipment in the market. Their product ranges from power towers to free weights. They aim to provide the best quality with unique features. Here is a list of the XMark Adjustable FID Weight Bench’s features:
- This weight bench can be adjusted to 10 positions
- Has a maximum weight capacity of 1500 lbs.
- 11 gauge steel construction
- Dimensions are 60 x 22.50 x 50.50 in. and weighs 77 lbs.
- 3 in. Duracraft padding
- Tear and sweat-resistant Duraguard vinyl cover
- Comes with transportation wheels
- Built-in leg hold down bar
- Skid resistant feet
This one-of-a-kind weight bench is definitely a great buy. Here are some reasons why you should have this in your home gym:
- Commercial grade weight bench
- Has the highest weight capacity in the market
- Cheap considering how high its quality is
- Secured and stable on any type of flooring
- A lot of possible positions
- Great packaging
- The pad is well-cushioned and offers the right comfort
- The cover is durable
- Suitable for everyday use
- Excellent customer service
No product is perfect. This also applies to the XMark Adjustable FID Weight Bench. Here are some things this weight bench can still improve on:
- The foot brace gets in the way at times
- Not that easy to move around because of its weight
- It is not that easy to assemble
- May not suit users who are on the short side
Ironcompany.com Body Solid GFID225 Folding Adjustable Weight Bench: Best Weight Bench for Intense Workouts
Last on the list is from one of the pioneers of online fitness equipment sellers. They have been selling a wide range of fitness machine, accessories, and gears, since 1997. Some of their products includes medicine balls, free weights, yoga gear, and cardio equipment. As for their Body Solid GFID225 Folding Adjustable Weight Bench, below is a list of all of its features:
- Adjustable to 7 positions
- Max weight: 600 lbs.
- Steel construction
- 2 x 3 in. oval tubing
- Its measurements are 58.5 x 19.5 x 10 in. and weighs 61.2 lbs.
- Can be folded for easy storage
- No need to assemble
- Commercial rated
- Built-in transportation wheels for mobility
- Comes with front foot pegs
This adjustable weight bench is most certainly a great buy. It has a lot of great features which we can benefit from. Below is a list of its positive qualities:
- Packaged well
- Solid and sturdy construction
- Comes fully assembled so you won’t have to spend time and effort figuring out how to set it up
- Folds and unfolds easily
- Can be easily stored under the bed or in a closet
- Stays in place and does not wobble
- Can be positioned in multiple ways
- It has built-in wheels and a handle on the other end so it is easy to move
- The padding is comforable
As awesome as this weight bench is, it is not perfect. There are some things that they can still improve on. Here is a list of its not-so-great qualities:
- The foot pads could use some padding
- It can be a bit uncomfortable to lie down because there is a gap between the seat and the back rest
- The backrest might be too narrow for some
- It does not come with any sort of manual or instructions
Choosing the right weight bench can be a daunting job especially if you are shopping online. It can overwhelming especially if you are not aware of the different types of weight benches. There are a lot of factors you would need to consider before buying one like the price, the type, material it is made from, and brand. To reduce the burden of shopping for a weight bench, below are more information and guidelines about weight benches.
How to choose a weight bench
A weight bench is an integral part of weight lifting. Without it, certain exercises can be very hard to do. It is also a lot safer to have one if you are an avid lifter. There are a number of thing that you would need to take into consideration when choosing a weight bench. The most important thing is how you plan to use it and the type of exercise you want to do. If you plan on using it every day, investing on a high quality weight bench that is made from durable material. Also choose which will allow you to do the exercises you want. That information is usually made available by the brand itself.
Another thing to consider is your safety. Choose one that has a high weight capacity especially if you plan on lifting very heavy weights. Also choose one that is stable and would not wobble when you are working out. Next thing to consider is your space. Not everyone has a spacious gym in their home. If you do have limited space, look for a weight bench that is foldable and easy to store after use. It will also be great if it has transportation wheels that will allow you to move it from one place to another easily.
What is a good weight bench for my weight?
A good ratio of body weight and weight bench is at least 75% more. Settling for something very close to your weight can be very dangerous as it has a tendency of falling apart. Choosing one that has a high weight capacity will give you a lot of room to increase the weights that you use over time. Aside from your weight, your height should be considered as well. Make sure to check the dimensions of the weight bench to ensure that you will have enough space to do different exercises.
Weight bench brands
One of the first things a shopper would notice in any product is its brand. People would tend to choose a weight bench from a brand that has a good reputation. Some well-known brands of weight benches are Bowflex, XMark, Marcy, and CAP Barbell. For affordable yet high quality weight benches, CAP Barbell and Bowflex are great choices. For higher end and commercial grade weight benches, XMark and Marcy are perfect for you. There are still a lot of great brands out there so do not be afraid to explore.
Gym quality weight bench
Gym quality weight benches are durable, sturdy, and can withstand intense daily workouts. It should also have a high weight capacity. A good gym quality bench is the XMark Adjustable FID Weight Bench. It can withstand up to 1500 lbs. and it is made from sweat and tear resistant vinyl. Another great option is the Marcy Diamond Olympic Bench. It allows you to do a great number of different workouts and it is heavy duty as well.
Weight Bench FAQ
Below are some of the frequently asked questions about weight benches:
How to use a weight bench
A weight bench is not only something you can sit on. With it, you can perform different exercises with or without strengthening equipment such as barbells and dumbbells. You can do bench presses, triceps dips, and even step ups.
Do I need a weight bench?
A weight bench is a must if you plan on doing bench or inclined presses. Other than that, a weight bench is not really a requirement when doing other exercises such as curls, squats, and rows. However, if you wish to make your workouts easier and more convenient, then you may need the help of a weight bench.
How to do sit ups on a weight bench
Doing sit ups requires you to be in a lying down position. This can be achieved by having a flat weight bench or an adjustable one that allows you to recline it flat and just do what you would normally do when performing sit ups on the floor or mat.
How wide is a weight bench?
Weight benches are not small and may eat up a lot of space in your home. The standard width of a weight bench is around 15 – 20 inches wide and the standard length is around 50 – 60 inches. If you want to save space, there are foldable weight benches that you can store under your bed or in your closet when you are not using it.
What is an Olympic weight bench?
Olympic weight benches are quite similar to a standard one. What makes an Olympic weight bench different is that it has a bigger weight capacity and it is a lot more stable. They also tend to be longer and wider as well. This is to make its support better and make it withstand a greater amount of weight. Lastly, Olympic weight benches are more expensive because they are made from high quality materials suitable for frequent use.
Having a fit body never goes out of style. Gone are the times when you need to spend a lot of money on gym membership. With the amount of affordable fitness equipment today, you can build your own gym at home. If you are a fan of doing presses, then a weight bench is definitely a must-have for your home gym. Make sure to familiarize yourself with the qualities a good weight bench should have: function, safety, build, and price.