Everyone knows how expensive it is to have a gym membership. Due to this, most people have opted to build their own gym at home. With the variety of fitness equipment today, it may get a little complicated to choose which one is the best.
If you are looking for something that is versatile and simple to use, why not use dumbbells? Dumbbells are easily the most popular type of fitness equipment today. This is because it is really simple to incorporate with different exercises you can do at home such as curls, crunches, and squats.
Dumbbells Comparison Chart
Here is an overview of the different brands of dumbbells:
|CAP Barbell Color Coated Hex Dumbbell||Yes4All Adjustable Dumbbells||BalanceFrom BF-D358 Dumbbell Set with Stand||ProSource Set of Two Neoprene Dumbbells Coated for Non-Slip Grip||Ringstar Starring Adjustable Dumbbells|
|Spin Lock Star Collars||
|Spin Lock Star Collars|
|Weight Range||3 lbs. – 50 lbs.||40 lbs. – 200 lbs.||20 lbs. set – 32 lbs. set||1 lb. – 12 lbs.||65 lbs. – 200 lbs.|
|Handle Style||Contoured Chrome Handles||Solid Chrome Handles||Contoured||Non-slip Grip||Solid Chrome Handles|
|Color||Black, Blue, Gray, Yellow, Light Blue, Magenta, and Orange||Black||Pink, Purple, and Yellow (20 pound set) Teal, Light Blue, and Orange (32 pound set)||Pink, Yellow, Red, Lime, Purple, Orange, Sky Blue, Dark Blue, Green, Grey, Light Brown, and Black||Silver and Black|
|Weight stand and assembly tool||
CAP Barbell Color Coated Hex Dumbbell: The Safest Dumbbell to Have
CAP Barbell has been a leading manufacturer of fitness equipment for over 25 years now. They have a wide range of different products that can be used either at home or commercially such as yoga accessories, weighted vests, and elliptical machines.
The CAP Barbell Color Coated Hex Dumbbell offers great performance at a reasonable price. It has a lot of qualities that you would want to have in a dumbbell. To know more about this product, below is a list of its features:
- 3 lbs. – 50 lbs.
- Made from solid cast iron with a protective matte rubber coating
- Has a semi-gloss finish
- Contoured chrome plated steel handles
- Hexagon-shaped design to prevent them from rolling
- Color-coded weights: Black, Blue, Gray, Yellow, Light Blue, Magenta, and Orange
The CAP Barbell Color Coated Hex Dumbbell is a must have for any home gym. Here are some reasons why you would want to get your hands on this dumbbell:
- The handle is textured so it won’t slip easily
- The weight on the dumbbells are equally distributed
- When getting multiple dumbbells of different weights, you have an option to go all black or color-coded
- The hexagon shape prevents the dumbbells from rolling on the floor
- Dropping the weights will not damage the floor
No product is perfect. This dumbbell from CAP Barbell still has a room for improvement. Here are some of the qualities they can improve on:
- Holding the dumbbells can get painful over time because it does not offer any cushion so you may need to use weightlifting gloves
- The middle part of the handle gets thicker as the weight increases which makes it hard to grip
- There is a chemical smell coming from the weights
Yes4All Adjustable Dumbbells: The Cheapest Adjustable Dumbbells
Next on the list is from the company Yes4All. Yes4All has been manufacturing different products such as pet supplies, fitness equipment, home appliances, camping gear, and yoga gear since 2010. They aim to provide excellent quality products at a small price tag.
The Yes4All Adjustable Dumbbells is a convenient way of getting multiple weights in just one dumbbell. Here is a list of its features:
- Adjustable dumbbells
- Made from solid cast iron core
- Neoprene coating finish
- Secured with spin lock star collars
- Weight sets ranges from 40 lbs. – 200 lbs.
- Solid chrome handles
- Round-shaped weights
When it comes to adjustable dumbbells, the Yes4All Adjustable Dumbbells is an excellent choice. Here are some of its qualities that could definitely convince you to buy one:
- You get to control the weight of the dumbbell depending on what type of lifting you want to do just by removing or adding plates
- The plates are very easy to add and remove
- It is multiple dumbbells in one
- Easy to store and will not take a lot of space in your home
- Great value for price
- Weighs exactly as advertised
Although the Yes4All Adjustable Dumbbells is a great products, it still has some flaws. Here is a list of qualities that they should consider improving:
- There is a tendency for the locks to loosen up easily so you may have to check them frequently
- The paint on the dumbbells chips
- The packaging could use a lot of improvement
- The handles are a little thick and may be hard to grip for those who have small hands
BalanceFrom BF-D358 Dumbbell Set: Best Dumbbell Set
Next on the list is from the brand BalanceFrom. Balancefrom is a provider of not only dumbbells but also furniture, home appliances, yoga gear, weighing scales, and outdoor equipment.
The BalanceFrom BF-D358 Dumbbell Set with Stand has a lot of qualities you will surely love. Here is a list of its features:
- Made from solid cast iron with neoprene coating
- 20 lbs. set – 32 lbs. set
- 3 pairs of dumbbells per set: pairs of 2 lbs., 3 lbs., and 5 lbs., for the 20 lbs. set and pairs of 3 lbs., 5 lbs., and 8lbs., for the 32 lbs. set
- Contoured handle
- Hexagon-shaped dumbbells
- Comes in different colors: Pink, Purple, and Yellow for the 20 pound set, and Teal, Light Blue, and Orange for the 32 pound set
- Weight stand and assembly tool included in the set
If you are looking for a set of dumbbells that has great value for money, then the BalanceFrom BF-D358 Dumbbell Set with Stand can be the perfect choice. To know just how excellent this product is, here is a list of its pros:
- Comfortable to hold, easy to grip, and does not slip
- Very affordable for a set
- The stand is very easy to assemble especially with the tools included
- Great color combination for both sets
- The hexagon shape prevents it from rolling
Like any other product, the BalanceFrom BF-D358 Dumbbell Set with Stand is not perfect. Here is what BalanceFrom can still improve on:
- The stand is not that stable and tends to wobble at times but still holds the dumbbells well
ProSource Set of Two Neoprene Dumbbells Coated for Non-Slip Grip: Best Dumbbells For Beginners
ProSource is a company that was built by the desire to help people achieve a healthy and fit lifestyle without the high price of a gym membership and a personal trainer. They have made fitness equipment affordable and portable, and would fit in any home. Their products ranges from strengthening equipment, yoga gear, mats, massagers, and other fitness accessories.
The ProSource Set of Two Neoprene Dumbbells is a great choice for those who are looking for light weight lifting. Here are more of its features:
- Weight ranges from 1 lb. – 12 lbs.
- Non-slip grip
- Colorful neoprene coating
- Comes in different colors and each color has its corresponding weight: Pink (1 lb.), Yellow(2 lbs.), Red (3 lbs.), Lime (4 lbs.), Purple (5 lbs.), Orange (6 lbs.), Sky Blue (7 lbs.), Dark Blue (8 lbs.), Green (9 lbs.), Grey (10 lbs.), Light Brown (11 lbs.), and Black (12 lbs.)
This product truly has a lot of qualities you would want in a dumbbell. Here is a list of ProSource Set of Two Neoprene Dumbbells’ pros:
- Great weights for beginners
- It is easy to get the dumbbells you want just by looking at the color
- Comfortable to hold and they are easy to grip
- The hexagon shape makes it stay in place and prevents it from rolling around
- The color is true to what is advertised
Like any other product, this set of two dumbbells has its downsides as well. Here are some of its cons:
- The grip is pretty wide so people with smaller hands may get difficultly holding the dumbbells
- There is a smell coming from the dumbbells
Ringstar Starring 65 105 200 Lbs. Adjustable Dumbbells: The Best Adjustable Dumbbells
Last on the list is from the brand Ringstar. Ringstar is a provider of fitness equipment such as dumbbells, martial arts equipment, and sports shoes.
The Ringstar Starring 65 105 200 Lbs. Adjustable Dumbbells is another great choice for those who are looking for a set of dumbbells without the clutter. To know more about this product, here is a list of all of its features:
- Made from cast iron
- Spray painted
- Adjustable dumbbells
- Spin lock star collars
- Weight set comes in 65 lbs., 105 lbs., and 200 lbs.
- Solid chrome handles
- Round-shaped dumbbells
- Comes in silver and black
- Can be bought with or without safety trays
If you are still not convinced how great this product is, here is a list of its pros:
- It is easy to add and remove the plates
- The locks stays on tight
- Great quality for money
- The trays are very useful
- Easy to clean
- It comes with extra rubber washers
No product is perfect. Any product in any category would have its downsides. Here are some of the qualities that the brand can still improve on:
- The handle is quite rough and can get painful after a while of using the dumbbells so you may need to wear weightlifting gloves
- The paint chips over time
- The chrome plating also peels over time which gives you another reason to wear gloves
There are plenty of things to consider when buying any type of product. For dumbbells, the things you would need to consider is its function, weight or size, type, safety, and price. Choose one that would fit all of your needs and budget.
There is a reason as to why a gym membership is expensive and it is because fitness equipment does not come cheap especially high quality ones. It is also common that gyms would buy the most well-known brand of equipment to attract more customers. However, just because it is the most well-known or the most expensive brand, doesn’t mean it is the best one for you. There are a lot of affordable ones out there if you search enough.
For dumbbells, and any other strengthening equipment, the heavier they are, the more expensive they cost. There are ways to keep your spending to a minimum and the first one is to buy an adjustable dumbbell. An adjustable dumbbell allows you to have different weights in one and costs a lot cheaper than buying multiple dumbbells.
Aside from being affordable, it can also save you space in your home. If you do not want the burden of adding and removing the plates every time, then the best choice for you is to buy a set. Although it is not as cheap as adjustable ones, it is still more affordable than buying them separately.
What Size Dumbbells Should I Use?
Choosing the right size of dumbbells is a very important step. There are a lot of ways to determine which size you should use. First thing to consider is your experience. If you do not have experience in any sort of weight lifting, the best thing to start with a light pair of dumbbells around 2 lbs. – 15 lbs.
You will be able to increase the weight over time once you get used to it. Another thing to consider is the type of exercise you want to do. For example, if you plan on doing bicep curls, dumbbells around 5 – 10 lbs. would suffice. However, if you are looking to build your muscles, you would need to use weights that are higher than usual. A good 10 – 20 lbs. of weight will do.
What Dumbbells Should I Buy?
Buying dumbbells can be very tricky because there are a lot of different brands out there to choose from. Since we all have our own need and preferences, make sure to stick to what they are. A good example is the size of the weights. If you are only looking to build your stamina and not develop your muscles, you can purchase weights that are around 2 – 15 lbs.
Another thing to consider is your space. If you have limited space or despise clutter, it is best that you opt for adjustable dumbbells. If the appearance of a dumbbell matters to you, there are visually appealing ones available and even colored dumbbells. Just make sure that the ones you buy will able to fulfill your needs and help you achieve your fitness goals.
Dumbbells for Home
Going to the gym can be time consuming and expensive. The best way to save money and time is to buy your own equipment that you can use any time in your home. Although there are a lot of different fitness equipment out there, dumbbells are a popular choice. You get to incorporate it with exercises you can easily do at home such as squats, curls, and rows.
The most suitable type of dumbbells to buy for your home is an adjustable one because it won’t take a lot of space. If you are do not like the hassle of adjusting your weights, another great option is to buy a set that comes with a stand for easy storage.
It is also good to consider buying dumbbells that has a rubber coating if you do not want to damage your floor whenever you put them down or drop them. Lastly, another great quality to have in a dumbbell is a hexagon-shaped one. This will give you that extra security and convenience because it will not roll away when you are doing your reps.
Here are some of the frequently asked questions about dumbbells.
How to use dumbbells?
Dumbbells are one of the easiest and most versatile fitness equipment to use. They can be used to improve stamina, for fat loss, or build muscles. Using them would have to depend on what exercise you want to do. A great example would be doing bicep curls.
Bicep curls is a very common exercise you can do with dumbbells. You simply need to hold and lift them to the height of your shoulders alternatively. Start by going slow in order not to strain your body. There are also exercises wherein you would only need one dumbbell like when doing crunches. You can either hold them by the plates or on the handles if they are long enough.
What are dumbbells made of?
Like most weight lifting equipment, dumbbells are usually made from cast iron. They are usually coated with rubber or neoprene for extra comfort and security. There are also dumbbells that are made from chrome and concrete.
Chrome dumbbells are said to be better than the traditional cast iron ones. They are also more attractive to look at and would easily fit in any home gym. Other coatings of dumbbells includes plastic and vinyl as well.
How do adjustable dumbbells work?
An adjustable dumbbell consists of a handle and different sets of plates that you can add and remove depending on what weight you want. All you have to do is to securely screw or unscrew the locks. These are really useful for those who are using multiple weights of dumbbells and doesn’t want to consume too much space.
How to lift dumbbells properly
Like in any type of exercise, the most important thing is to have proper form. Having the proper form will make your workout more effective and help you avoid injuries. It is also important to lift slowly to avoid straining your body. Lifting slowly is also more effective because you will be giving your muscles time to focus on the part of the body you want to work on.
What to do with dumbbells
As what was mentioned previously, dumbbells are very versatile. You can incorporate almost any exercise you want with it. You can use to take your usual workout to the next level by incorporating it with your squats, jogging, rows, and curls. You can also use heavier ones to build your muscles. The possibilities are truly endless!
Dumbbells are one of the best fitness equipment to have in your home. It is versatile and easy to use. You can take your daily workout up a notch by using them in your routine. Once you have decided on which dumbbells to buy, make sure to explore different exercises you can do with them in order to maximize its use.