You wouldn’t play football or soccer wearing just any shoe. Why? Because the type of shoe you wear can make or break your game! Just like you need a pair of cleats to play soccer, you need the best lifting shoe for weightlifting, cross-training, and other types of grappling sports.
Lifting shoes can add more power your training sessions, fuel your workouts, and boost your performance. They help you push your limits, challenge your capabilities, and deliver your best!
If you are looking a lifting shoe but don’t know which brand to choose or what to look for when buying a pair of lifting shoes, then you have come to the right place.
Some sports people spend a lot on gear and accessories, but when it comes to shoes, they try to cut corners. This is what differentiates them from the professionals, who know how imperative lifting shoes are for their performance.
They may cost extra, but the value you get is well worth the money, and they outweigh the cost in the long run. If you take a closer look at lifting shoes, you can see that they look different from any other sports shoe. There’s a reason why they look like that.
They have three important characteristics that differentiate them from any standard sports shoe, and these are:
Solid and sturdy base
Lifting shoes feature a hard rubber sole that allows weightlifters to exert all of their force into moving more weight. As they have a flat bottom, the energy you apply to push against the floor does not get absorbed by any cushion and instead makes direct contact with the ground.
This enables you to pull the bar higher and gives you more time to drop it.
Lifting shoes come with a raised or elevated heel that offers dual benefits. Through helping you stay upright, it allows you to perform deeper squats while maintaining a correct body posture.
Although the amount of force exerted and depth are extremely important, you cannot lift heavy weights efficiently unless your feet are securely planted on the ground. You would definitely not want your feet to waver as you try to lift weight, hence lifting shoes are designed to give you enhanced security with power straps and laces.
What to consider before a lifting shoe
Weightlifting is a simple sport that requires few accessories, so the most important investment you can make to improve your performance is buying the best lifting shoe. The sport puts a lot of stress and strain on the human body, so you must choose your pair wisely.
Here are a few factors to consider before buying a lifting shoe:
When you are lifting heavy weights, losing balance is the last thing you want to happen. A good lifting shoe should be stable and keep your feet firmly rooted to the ground.
Lifting shoes may cost more than a regular pair of shoes, but this investment will pay off in the long run. That being said, please bear in mind that an expensive shoe may not necessarily be the best.
So, check our list of top lifting shoes below before buying one yourself.
Don’t make a hasty decision when buying a lifting shoe because proper fit and comfort are most important. You definitely don’t want to get blisters on your feet or get an ankle ache after wearing these shoes during longer workouts. Buy a shoe that offers optimum comfort even if you wear it all day.
When you are buying a lifting shoe, looks don’t matter as much as security and comfort. However, if the design does play a role in your decision, then there are some good-looking pairs that are worth buying.
There has been a hike in the popularity of lifting shoes in the last few years. As a result, multiple brands are now offering lifting shoes and other types of sports shoes for athletes.
|Men’s Squat Shoe – MEGIN by Nordic Lifting||$||4.7/5|
|Adidas Performance Men’s Powerlift.2 Trainer Shoe||$$$||5/5|
|Otomix Stingray Escape Bodybuilding Weightlifting MMA Boxing Shoe||$||4.9/5|
|Inov-8 Women’s F-Lite 235 V2 Cross-Trainer Shoe||$||4.7/5|
|Nike Metcon 3 Mens Cross Training Shoes||$$$||4.5/5|
|Reebok Men’s Lifter Pr Cross-Trainer Shoe||$||4.5/5|
|Under Armour Men’s Commit Training Cross-Trainer Shoe||$||4.5/5|
|Inov-8 Men’s Fastlift™ 325-M Cross-Trainer Shoe||$$||4.7/5|
|Pendlay Womens Weightlifting Shoes||$$||4.4/5|
|Nike Women’s Metcon 2 Pr Training Shoe||$||4.5/5|
We have listed the top five best lifting shoes below to help you with your decision.
Men’s Squat Shoe – MEGIN by Nordic Lifting
This powerlifting shoe by Nordic Lifting has been specially crafted for bodybuilders, powerlifters, weightlifters, and other types of sportsmen who work with heavy weights on a daily basis. The shoe comes with a rigid anti-slip sole, which enables the weightlifter to remain stable during the different stages of lifting exercises.
The shoe offers a snug fit, so the feet are secured tightly without any unnecessary movement. It helps in powering your deadlifts, squats, leg presses, and other types of heavy exercises.
The elevated heel of the shoe enables the user to direct his force in the right direction and lift heavier weights with confidence. The shoe comes with a Velcro strap that stays intact even under extreme pressure.
- Provides good foot support
- Durable to last under immense stress
- One-year manufacturer warranty
- Perfect for professionals dealing with heavy weight
- Powers squats and deadlight exercises
- The shoe has a unique raised heel to ensure a correct lifting posture. It adds more stability to the shoe and powers your weightlifting exercises. It also enables you to do better and deeper squats.
- The MEGIN powerlifting shoes come in a well-packaged box, which makes them a perfect gift.
- Reinforced stitching on the sturdy Velcro strap adds more stability and durability to the lifting shoe.
- The open forefoot of the shoe is made from high-quality mesh, which is a breathable material that helps your feet stay comfortable.
- You can wear the shoes for a long time without feeling any strain or stress on your feet.
- Nordic Lifting stands behind its products and offers a one-year manufacturer warranty.
- There’s no money back guarantee offered for the product. So, if you do not like the shoe, you cannot return it for a refund.
- The bright blue color may not suit some users’ preferences.
MEGIN by Nordic Lifting is a well-made powerlifting shoe that can improve your performance and help you push your limits in the gym.
Whether you are a beginner looking for a reasonable lifting shoe or a professional seeking a pair to help you do deeper squats and deadlifts, MEGIN will fit the bill. The best part is that the shoe doesn’t cost a lot, so it can fit all budgets!
Adidas Performance Men’s Powerlift.2 Trainer Shoe
The name “Adidas” speaks for itself, and the Men’s Powerlift.2 Trainer Shoe lives up to the expectations from this brand. The neat and stylish design of the shoe is sure to impress those who are concerned about looks.
Performance-wise, this lifting shoe is unbeatable, as it helps you get a strong grip on the ground at different levels of weightlifting. The solid rubber base and high-density midsole give you a competitive edge over others. They enable you to direct your physical strength and force in the right direction.
The shoe is made from breathable mesh material that makes it lightweight yet highly durable. There’s also a power strap over the laces to further secure your feet so that you don’t get off balance under extreme pressure.
- Made from breathable mesh material
- Rubber inner sole
- Wider size for more comfort
- Synthetic leather front for enhanced support and durability
- Power strap and secure lacing
- Elevated heel for better arch support
- These shoes are perfect for lifting, and you can see the difference in your squats and high bar almost immediately.
- The quality of these shoes is excellent. The synthetic material on the exterior with an upper mesh makes the shoe extremely lightweight, comfortable, and breathable.
- Appearance-wise, they look really cool, and you have a wide assortment of colors to choose from.
- The shoe fits perfectly and keeps your feet planted firmly on the ground. It creates an amazing grip that ensures that you don’t get off balance even when you perform under immense pressure.
- This is a perfect shoe for beginners who want to get a feel of the raised heel without spending a lot for it.
- The laces tighten your feet more firmly, leaving no space for unwanted movement, and the power strap on the front further seals the deal.
- The rubber sole may slightly get compressed if you do a lot of squatting exercises. However, it works fine if you do fewer squats in a day.
If you are a beginner or a self-proclaimed “advanced novice,” this shoe would work well for you. It has all the features you can expect from a brand like Adidas.
So, you get a decent, quality lifting shoe at a reasonable price. Definitely a good investment!
Otomix Stingray Escape Bodybuilding Weightlifting MMA Boxing Shoe
Otomix boasts a rich heritage and experience in martial arts, and you can see this reflected in its range of sports shoes. The Stingray Escape Bodybuilding shoe is crafted with passion for providing enhanced support and stability for your weightlifting.
The shoe is extremely light, and it offers the ultimate traction needed to give you a competitive edge over others.
The shoe wears a rugged exterior look and provides a snug fit inside. It gives a solid foundation to help you get a good grip on the ground while you perform squats, deadlifts, powerlifts, and so on.
The shoe not only helps you deliver a power-packed performance but also looks great, which gives it a double advantage over other lifting shoes on the market.
- Made from suede leather and synthetic material
- Ultra-light in weight yet highly durable
- Provides extra ankle support
- Thin sole helps you maintain a firm grip
- Perfect for weightlifting, martial arts, wrestling, MMA, and bodybuilding
- Otomix Stingray Escape bodybuilding shoes boost your performance and help you deliver your best during training sessions or competitions.
- You can feel the difference immediately when you do calf raises with this shoe. It gives you more range and less restriction.
- The shoe is super comfortable, and you can wear it all day without feeling any strain in your feet.
- Amazing traction ability helps your feet stay rooted to the ground, which is of high importance when performing squats, deadlifts, and other exercises.
- The elevated heel helps in maintaining the right balance so that your body is able to push more force when raising the high bar.
- It comes with an amazing ankle support that keeps your feet protected from any impact during weightlifting.
- The shoe is not meant for boxing, as it cannot sustain the impact from being rubbed against the mat.
- The shoe lacks a power strap that you can find in competitor brands.
- The shoe’s eyelets may come off under immense pressure.
The Otomix Stingray Escape bodybuilding shoe has some decent features that make it a good pair for your feet. However, it has some manufacturing flaws that cannot be ignored.
We would not recommend the shoe for professional weightlifters. It is, however, good for beginners who want better grip and balance.
Inov-8 Women’s F-Lite 235 V2 Cross-Trainer Shoe
F-Lite 235 V2 Cross-Trainer Shoe by Inov-8 is better than the original Inov-8, and it has been specially designed to fit women’s feet. If you are into weightlifting, fitness workouts, powerlifting, and gymnastics, the Inov-8 Women’s F-Lite 235 V2 Cross-Trainer Shoe is for you.
It has high-density Powerheel technology with an advanced heel lock construction that gives you optimum stability when lifting weights. The Meta-flex technology enables multi-directional flexibility so that you can perform different types of exercises with ease.
The metcradle lacing system is designed so that your shoe moves naturally along with the foot. The shoe comes with an amazing grip to keep your feet firmly on the ground when you lift heavy weights or try fitness exercises.
- Made from synthetic sole
- Lightweight yet durable
- Gives an unbeatable grip
- Multi-directional flexibility
- Delivers maximum stability
- The shoe offers enhanced security with advanced heel lock construction, zero drop proprioception, and high-density Powerheel It gives you optimum stability when weightlifting.
- The shoe is flexible and highly adaptable. When the foot swells in fast motion, the shoe easily adapts to the movement.
- The metcradle lacing system helps in securely holding the foot and keeping it firmly grounded.
- It comes with a roomy toe box, which offers a comfortable and snug fit around your heel.
- The shoe helps you maintain the correct posture and balance to deliver your best performance.
- The shoe is extremely lightweight, so you can wear it all day without feeling any strain in your feet.
- There’s no arch support, which may be a problem for some. However, you can manage this by inserting some support inside your shoe.
This is a well-built and sturdy women’s trainer shoe to help you deliver your best in fitness workouts, powerlifting, weightlifting, and gymnastics. It features advanced grip technology and heel lock construction to give you a super snug fit.
The laces further tighten to avoid any extra movement, so your foot moves along with your body. At this price, it’s definitely worth buying.
Nike Metcon 3 Mens Cross Training Shoes
Nike shoes need no introduction, since we know them as one of the biggest players in the sports shoe category. The Metcon 3 is a cross-trainer shoe specially built for intense workouts such as flexibility work, heavy lifting, sprints, and climbs.
It helps you get a better grip on the ground so that the force exerted by you is properly directed. The shoe has all the unique functionalities of the Metcon series to make it more stable and flexible.
- Made from synthetic and mesh material
- Rubber insole
- Secure lacing system
- Drop-in midsole for secure fit
- Lightweight and durable
- Padded tongue and collar area
- The Flywire mid-foot technology keeps the foot securely locked in one place.
- The dual-density foam mid-sole gives you extra cushioning and support.
- It offers a snug and comfortable fit, perfect for wearing throughout the day without getting blisters or ankle aches.
- Slightly expensive when compared to other shoes on the market
This is a well-made weightlifting shoe by Nike, and you can feel the difference in your squats almost immediately after wearing the shoe.
If you are someone who doesn’t like to experiment with other brands and wants to buy what is tried and true, then the Nike Metcon 3 Men’s Cross Training Shoe is a good choice for you.
Lifting shoes have come a long way from what they used to be. In the early days, they were limited to the sport of weightlifting, but now these shoes have become essential for every type of strength sport.
With a plethora of brands and models available on the market, finding the best lifting shoe that meets your requirements should not be tough. When buying a lifting shoe, look into characteristics like heel surface, heel height, and security, as they can affect your overall performance.
Our favorite pick for the professional lifters would be the Adidas Performance Men’s Powerlift.2 Trainer Shoe for its strength and durability, plus the trust of a brand like Adidas. Beginners may try something less expensive like the Otomix Stingray Escape Bodybuilding Weightlifting MMA Boxing Shoe.